Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Friday, August 20, 2010

Bittersweet appointment

So today was the day of Isla’s appointment with the pediatric gastroenterologist. They started off by weighing her and checking her length. The results were unsettling: at 2 days shy of 8 months old she weighs 13 pounds 4 ounces (a 1 ounce increase in 8 days) and she is 25 ¼ inches long (no change in a couple months). The doctor examined her and asked me some questions. He then told me that he was confident that she has a severe food allergy to something I was eating that was making it into my breastmilk. He said that although breastmilk is best that he wants her to go on formula. But not any formula will work- only 1 kind is available for her and he said “it is very expensive”. He gave me some samples of the formula (EleCare- amino-acid-based, hypoallergenic formula that is specifically designed for infants and children with special feeding issues) - it is only available on their website or through special order through the pharmacy. It costs double or triple what a normal formula costs- and my insurance will likely not cover it! The doctor said that he wants to see her in a month to check her growth- fingers crossed that is works for her.




This appointment was bittersweet for me. The sweet: I am beyond happy that the doctor thinks Isla’s stomach issues are caused by a food allergy and nothing too serious. I am relieved that we did not have to do any invasive tests. I am hopeful that she will start to feel better. The bitter: I am heartbroken to have to stop breastfeeding. I was telling Trevor the other day that I plan to keep breastfeeding Isla past my original goal of 12 months. I love nursing Isla- the feeling of being so close to her. Breastfeeding makes me feel so bonded to her. It is something that only I can give her- it was the one thing that was all mine. I hate that I don’t get that anymore. I hate that the choice was made for me. I am not ready to stop but I have to follow the doctor’s orders. I feel guilty (although the doctor told me it is not my fault and that I should feel proud and not guilty because most Moms would not go on such a strict diet for such a long time like me) that her stomach problems were caused by something I did. I feel uneasy with the decision to stop breastfeeding- right now I don’t feel like it was the right decision for my baby although I am sure this feeling will pass. I wonder if the doctor is right. It doesn’t help that after feeding her formula for the first time tonight that she spit up 4 times (not like Isla at all to spit up) and was grunting and growling in discomfort. I hope it is just gas but wonder if I made the wrong choice. Before I was confident in the decision to breastfeed (even on the strict diet) but now I feel so unsure. I am just taking this day by day and hoping for positive results and hoping I start feeling better about everything.



Our next appointment is September 27 (my wedding anniversary) and we are hoping she grows! Please keep Isla in your thoughts! Love you all!


No comments:

Post a Comment