Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Friday, August 13, 2010

Dealing with colic

When Isla was 2 months old I was noticing she was crying A LOT and had some mucus in her poops. I brought it up to the pediatrician’s medical assistant and we figured it was because she was starting to teeth (she was drooling a lot too and biting things). It kept happening so I called again and spoke to someone else and they said it was because she was getting over a cold and her sinus’ were draining into her stomach since she could not blow her nose. But it never let up. Finally I decided to bring in a dirty diaper with me to her 4 month appointment and they tested it- it came back positive for blood! I should have listened to my instincts! Isla has colitis! Her intestines and bowels were inflamed and bleeding. It was caused by a food sensitivity she had- I am breastfeeding her and the foods I was eating were making her sick. I had to go on a strict elimination diet. I cut out dairy, soy, nuts, wheat, eggs, beef and pork! It was extremely hard but she started getting better. After 3 1/2 months her diapers finally came back negative for blood! I was cleared to introduce wheat back into my diet. She had a slight reaction to that but after a few days she seemed to be doing fine. Then I introduced egg- that is where the trouble began. We were back to square one with the colic behavior. She was up all night screaming and crying. I stopped eating eggs but she is still acting sick. My poor baby- I hate seeing her so sick. I just want her to be healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment